My friend Rachel asked me to come up with some ideas of colors that would go with her new light gray couches that are now in her remodeled traditional Charleston, SC home. Above are some examples of the lovely effect that shades of blue/green and yellow/orange have with gray. Bringing in those contemporary colors with a more traditional feel, I created the below mood board that will hopefully inspire her.
I picked up a bag of lemons the other day got inspired to create a gluten-free cupcake using palm sugar. I also wanted to try out Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour to see how the texture fares over other gluten-free baking methods. The result was a yummy cupcake with an almost muffin-like texture. Recipe adapted from Martha.
• 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
• 1.5 tsp xanthum gum
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) vegan margarine (earth balance), room temperature
• 2 cups palm sugar
• 4 large eggs, room temperature
• Finely grated zest of 3 lemons (about 3 tablespoons),
• plus 3.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
1) Pre-heat oven to 325˚F.
2) Zest and juice lemons.
3) In a medium bowl, sift gluten-free flour, 1.5 tsp xanthum gum, baking powder, and salt.
4) In a stand mixer, cream palm sugar with vegan margarine with paddle attachment.
5) Add eggs one at a time until each are incorporated.
6) In a small bowl, mix the coconut milk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
7) Add a cup at a time of the flour mixture, alternating with a splash of the wet mixture. Mix until combined. Do not over-mix.
8 ) Spoon into lined cupcake tins and bake for about 20 minutes, until cupcakes are firm to the touch.
9) Cool completely before frosting.
1 cup palm sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (earth balance)
1/2 cup vegan margarine (earth balance)
2 tsp lemon extract
3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1) In a food processor, grind the palm sugar until it breaks-up into powdered sugar.
2) Add vegetable shortening and vegan margarine and cream in food processor until smooth.
3) Add lemon extract, lemon juice, and blueberries.
4) If the frosting breaks-up from the blueberry juice, add more earth balance until it’s completely smooth.
5) Pipe onto cupcakes.