We went strawberry picking on Sunday with visiting family, and brought home some delicious bright red strawberries. I decided to make some scones with them, and they turned out beyond delish. Between myself and my husband, we finished them in less than 24 hours! Recipe adapted from Sarah Bakes.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones (vegan, gluten free + low sugar)
1 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
3 tsp xantham gum
1/2 cup palm sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5 tablespoons cold Earth Balance Coconut Spread
1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 400˚F. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In a food processor with s-blade attachment, add flour, xanthem gum, palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until combined.
3) Add Earth Balance Coconut Spread, and run mixer until dough is flakey. Pour in the almond milk and mix until just combined.
4) Transfer dough to bowl. Fold-in the diced strawberries and mini chocolate chips.
5) Sprinkle flour on clean countertop surface, and turn-out dough.
6) With floured hands, gently flatten out dough into a 12-inch circle. Place a sheet of parchment on top, and roll with a rolling pin. Then remove the parchment.
7) Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 triangles by cutting horizontal lines across the dough, and then “v” shaped diagonal lines on each rectangular section. Lift each piece gently with a metal spatula, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
8) Bake scones for 15 minutes, remove from oven, and enjoy.